Tuesday 25 September 2012

Random food

I really should put more photos on this blog. I just forget to take my camera out and my mobile can barely send text messages let alone take pictures.

Things I have eaten in the last 72 hours:

Sashimi. This is my most recent consumption, and was surprisingly good, at a little, almost invisible Japanese restaurant on Xuan Dieu. Very tasty and with that lightness that quality Japanese food leaves you with.

Ostrich. I don't think I had ever eaten ostrich before. It was a nice textured meat, but hard to determine the actual flavour as it had been blitzed out by vast quantities of chilli. Ow.

Cricket (singular). I think probably the first time I've ever deliberately eaten an insect*. It was a bit grassy with an aftertaste reminiscent of the essence of bug I had with my Banh Cuon a few months ago  and slightly bitter, but the accompanying rice wine got rid of that. One was enough.

Thai green curry and coconut rice - very good but the edge of my hunger had been taken off by the Thai spring rolls (also pretty yummy).

So, I've been cuisine-leaping around SE Asia. Always fun.


*I'm sure I've consumed more than my fair share of ants that have flown into my mouth or wandered into my food without me noticing

2 comments:

  1. Following your link to 'Essence of Bug' reminded me of this...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8hF45fiAqQ

    ReplyDelete